Friday, February 4, 2011

Senior Night

Don't worry. I will not make this a sappy, long post about how my oldest son is a senior in high school this year. How I can't believe he is going to graduate. How I have no idea where the time has gone. How I would give anything to go back, just for a bit, to see his sweet baby face in person. When hugs and kisses were a regular occurrence. When I got to tuck him in at night. When *I* was the great love in his life, not his girlfriend. No. I will not make this post about that.

Oh. I think I just did. Anyhoo. The purpose was to show you the boards that I made for the GS Lions Hockey Senior Night. Austin was the only senior this year, so I made 2 of them :)

I started with the thick foam poster board. To make the pictures "pop" off the background I cut a brown card stock matte around each one (the school's colors are brown and gold). Then I used a black ink pad along the edges to give it a little more definition.

I bought chipboard stars and letters. I wanted them to feel a little more manly and industrial so I painted the stars in a yellowish gold and used a dark umber around the edges and in streaks to make them look like a yellow tin star that had rusted.

For the letters I layered black, russet and terra cotta paint colors to give them a look of rust. Normally I wouldn't have spent that amount of time on them, but I figured they will do double duty and can be used at his graduation party :)

I do realize you can't see all this detail in the picture, but I think you get the idea.



1 comment:

ashley @ little miss momma said...

And now you just made me emotional! How exciting for this next stage of his life--but how hard for us mommas! I am so not looking forward to my 19 month old growing up--it goes too fast!